Tuesday, February 26, 2008

In Memorium

Eric "E-Money" Myers

January 25, 1982 - February 25, 2008


I first met Eric as I did many of my closest friends in college; through Delta Chi Delta.  I have lots memories of Eric, but not near enough.  If it weren't for him, I probably would not have continued to participate in Delta Chi, and consequently my life would have been very different.  He took the time and effort to invest in me, and make me feel included, and reminded me what the club was all about, being there for your brother. (I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to tell him this while he was still with us.)  

This is what I remember and admire most about Eric.  He invested in people.  When he asked you how your day was going, it was not just cliche, he genuinely cared how your day was going.  If it was not going well, he would put all of his effort to make it better.  And invariably he would succeed.   That's who Eric was.  That's what he did.  His life was ministry.  Regardless of his occupation, he ministered more than anyone I know.  I wish I were more like him, but only because he wanted to be more like Christ, and it showed.

I'm going to miss him.  Delta Chi reunions won't be the same.  It's tragic that, as young as Delta Chi is (est. 1989), we have already lost two of our members.  And they were both stand-out, stand-up guys.  We are reminded that our Motto is not just some club motto, but it is rooted in something that is more real than anything we know.  "Brothers for Eternity."  It's not some new idea, it's God's plan. And it's not just a red and black thing. It transcends every barrier, every wall that stands in its way.  It is our hope. Not hope as in, "I hope something happens" but hope as in "I have a reason to go on because I KNOW that something better lies beyond this life." Whatever the reason for our loss, nothing can erase the pain except for that glorious day when we will all meet at the throne, when we'll all share together the incredible spectacle of His holiness, with all those who share that hope with us.

Save a seat for me E-Money.  We'll miss you, but we know we'll see you soon.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Chad, well put. I wish I could be as eloquent about it. I think your wife put it truly by noticing how fragile life is. It's truly a miracle of God that we all are alive, and we often forget to even mention a bit of gratitude to God for giving us time here at all, to enjoy the things we enjoy, to know great people, and to revel in being filled with life.