So this conference realignment has really got me bugged. Let me say first that I don't like it. The worst part is all the individual teams are making moves based what's in their own best interests (read: how they can make the most money) and not what's in the best interest for college sports.
The NCAA needs to step up and make sure the whole thing doesn't just come apart. Here's what I think they should do IF they go to 4 mega-conferences (what I really think they should do is what Pat Forde and ESPN.com came up with last year with six, brand new 10 team conferences)
Here's how the mega-conferences would line up if I were in charge:
(I know it's kind of sloppy, I just threw it together during lunch!)Sorry Colorado, I know you were excited about going to Disneyland every year, but it's back to the Big[number] for you.
Basically, the Pac-10 gets most of the Big12 South.
The Big12 North and what's left of the Big10 combine to form the Big16 (I'm open to a new name. I'm sure SOMEONE can think of something more original than "Big" with a number after it). And they get Notre Dame. And Notre Dame gets over it.
Because I'm a biased SEC snob, the SEC gets the "creme" of the ACC crop (if you can call it that): Miami, FSU, and Georgia Tech. (It's not just bias, they make the most sense geographically and this keeps some key rivalries together. SEC also picks up USF.
What's left of the ACC and the Big East combine. You might say, "Why didn't you keep the name Big East instead of ACC?" Well, I'm a little biased against the word "Big" I guess.
Each team plays every team round-robin-style from their division (7 games), plus 2 teams from their opposing division, and 2 non-conference games from one of the other 3 mega conferences. (11 game regular season). No more cupcake Division II gimme games.
The winner of each division goes on to an 8 team playoff. The max number of games a team will play will be 14 (the same as the current max).
***edit: The first round would be between the division champs of each conference, naming conference champions. The second round would be seeded by polls (1 vs 4, 2 vs 3). Round three would be the National Championship Game. You can call them Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Cotton, and Orange if you really want to).***
Every 4 years, the team from each division with the worst record gets the boot, and the rest of the division votes on someone from the lesser conferences in their geographical region to take their place (if no suitable replacement can be agreed upon the old team stays).
What would you do differently?

No comments:
Post a Comment